Winter Ice Safety Tips
Ten Winter Ice Safety Tips
- Walk slowly and carefully. Wear boots or other slip-resistant footwear.
- Use special care when getting in and out of vehicles. Use the vehicle for support if you need to do so.
- Watch for slippery floors when you enter any building or home.
- Try to avoid carrying items, or walking with your hands in your pockets; this can reduce your ability to catch yourself if you lose your balance. Instead, carry a backpack if you have one.
- Watch out for black ice.
- Tap your foot on potentially slick areas to see if the areas are slippery.
- Walk as flat-footed as possible in very icy areas.
- Avoid uneven surfaces if possible. Avoid steps or curbs with ice on them.
- Report any untreated surfaces to Maintenance and Facilities. Help us keep you safe!
- Remember: Ice and snow mean “take it slow!”